Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mirrors

Chapter 1


ghosts:

  • noun
  1. an apparition of a dead person that is believed to appear or become manifest to the living typically as a nebulous image.

  2. internal reflection in a mirror or camera.



It was scary going back to Lindsay, California. ever since my grandma mysteriously died in her two story house. I didn't want to go back ever. especially if it means living in the very house she died in. It was two years ago I had just got home from school when the call came. My parents flew back immediately to identify the body. They stayed a week. When they got back they wouldn't talk about it they only said that she was dead. My mom went back a couple times to check on the house each time a little bit of her faded. The last time she went she never came back. The police checked the house but she was no where to be found. Dad couldn't take it. Every night I could hear him crying constantly. He locked himself in his room. Sometimes he came out. I was sixteen and a junior at Lees Summit West in Missouri so I was able to take care of my sister Mary and still work a job. One day my Aunt came over to check on us. She called the police when she found out about my dad. They took him to an"Institute" rehab place. And sent us to live with our Aunt and Uncle and Cousin Jack. Me and my Aunt never get along. Jacks cool he's a year older than Mary and likes to play with her. They were both excited to move to sunny California. I'm sorry but I don't see how I'm supposed to go back to the house my mother vanished at which led to my dad going crazy and be happy about it? YA RIGHT! After three days of non stop driving we arrived on Sunday afternoon. The house was just as I remembered. It was white with an ugly green trim. The house looked a little scarier than it did back then it had a lonely spooky feeling about it. Something inside me sent goose bumps up my back and arms. My aunts friend had driven down to meet us from L.A which is only about two and a half hours from here.
" Amy since you know the house better than Jack why don't you show jack his room upstairs." My aunt said taking Mary's hand and walking over to her friend. My Uncle was busy telling the movers where to put stuff. he wanted all of us kids UN-packed before tonight because we actually had to go to school tomorrow. I was going to go to Lindsay High school. Home of the Cardinals. Jack and Mary would go to Steve Garvey Junior High school.
Inside it was cleaner than I expected. My aunt must have hired someone to clean the house before we got here. She hates dirty houses and likes to spend her time cleaning when ever she can. My Uncle hates cleaning is actually a really big slob. What they saw in each other I don't know. The stairs creaked as we went up. " How many bedrooms is their in this house?" Jack asked looking at the set of pictures on the wall going up the stairs.
" I don't know. I think three up stairs and one downstairs." I answered as we got to the top floor. The top floor was also clean. A fresh vase of flowers were set out on the side table below a nice sized mirror. "Hey jack you get the last one at the end of the hall. I do remember that it has the biggest window that looks out on the lake." I suggested.
"Cool!" he said running to the door and tried to turn the door knob. " It won't open."
" Its probably stuck. Try another one." He ran to the door another door near it. " This won't open either." then he ran to the door nearest the stairs and where I was standing. he turned the knob and the door creaked open. " Hey this one opens!" he announced. "I'll take this room." And went in to explore. I on the other hand I was looking at the door at the end of the hallway. I walked up to it for some reason. It was like something was telling me to open the door. Even though I knew it wouldn't. Slowly I reached my hand over and turned the knob. The door creaked opened. Maybe Jack wasn't strong enough to open it. I don't know why though because Jacks big for his age. He has future jock written all over him. Inside the walls were light blue. A single cast iron bed sat to the right when you walk in. It was facing the opposite wall where the huge window that overlooked the lake was. On the wall to the right of the bed their was another door. It led to the bathroom. That was small and had little kid duck tiles going all the way around and the same blue color as the room. To the left of the bed on the wall farthest of it their was a long dresser and a roll top desk. The room was bright and just as clean as the rest of the house. I walked over to the desk. It was light brown with a hand carved design going down the legs of it. When I tried to open the lid it was stuck. Looking on the front I saw that their was a key hole. And probably the key was lost a long time ago. Great just what I need a desk that doesn't open. I thought. I leaned in closer to the key hole to get a closer look at it. When I did I could just make out the soft hum of a music box coming from inside. From behind me Jack ran in with two movers carrying boxes and setting them on the floor. Making me jump." Hey you got the door open! Thats funny it opened for you. It's like the house wanted you to have this room or something." He said running up to me. " Hey your room came with a desk. No fair."
" It doesn't matter it won't open. It needs a key and I don't have it." I said pointing to the key hole.
" Well at least your rooms clean. Mine looks like no ones been it it for years."
" What about Mary's?"
" I don't know it wouldn't open for me remember?"
" Let me try. I mean this door opened for me so maybe the other one will too." We went to the hall and stood in front of Mary's room. Again I turned the knob but just like Jack said it wouldn't open.
"Hey whatcha doing?" came the soft ring of Mary's voice.
" We're just trying to open your bedroom door." Jack answered. " Well I'm gonna be down stairs. This place gives me the creeps." He patted Mary on the head the and ran down stairs.
" I can get uncle to open it later. You wanna help me in my room?"
" No." she said flattly.
" Are you sure?"
" Yes, I dont want to get her mad." she pointed behind me to the wall next to the door way.
" What are you pointing at?" chills ran down my back.
" She says I can play with Sara's dolls. Sara loves dolls." She ran over and turned the knob. The door opened.
" Who's Sara Mary? " I grabbed her arm before she went in. " Who are you talking about? Tell me who Sara is."
" She's behind you." Mary pointed to the Mirror. " Shes in the mirror."

No comments:

Post a Comment